Directory




Thursday, March 11, 2010

This Week's Finds

I'm still rather busy, so I'll slap up another pictureless list of what I snagged this week. Maybe I'll go back and put up the cover artwork this weekend.

Someone brought in a ton of donations on Monday. A colleague found 12 boxes full of books outside the library that morning. When I started working, I immediately went through the stacks to see what there was.

There were tons of old paperbacks, and I found a lot of books I've read/previously owned, and still needed to own a copy.


Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
I have another, less intact version of this book, so I'll replace it with this week's version. It's a book about the future where the government has banned books, and burns them if found.


Magister Ludi - Hermann Hesse
Don't know much about the book, only that I really like Hesse's work, and any paperback involving him should be snagged. And it was published as The Glass Bead Game.

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Another one of my favorite authors. I really liked this book in high school, and thought it'd be a good contribution. The story involves two men in the 1930s as they look for work in California.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
I just finished this book a few weeks ago, and decided I really needed to own a copy. Click the link to get a brief run-down of the story.

Peter Camenzind - Hermann Hesse
Another unknown story by Hesse that I felt like I should get. It was Hesse's first novel, so we'll see how it compares to his other stuff.

The Gap-Year Advantage: Helping Your Child Benefit from Time Off Before or During College - Karl Heiger and Rae Nelson
Mainly got this for my mom to read. Also, I'm on my "gap-year" at the moment, so it'd be interesting to hear some of the ideas about how it's a good idea.

Spirit and Symbol: The Japanese New Year
A big book full of excellent pictures involving the rituals, symbols, and festivities around Japan to celebrate the New Year. It goes into great detail describing and explaining all the various aspects of the celebrations.

-----

There was also a trove of DVDs that were donated. After asking the Library Director, I was able to take these home:

Leon, The Professional
A young, young Natalie Portman asks Jean Reno (the French guy in the American Godzilla) to train her to be an assassin so she may exact revenge for her family.

The Road Warrior and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
A combo pack of awesome movies. Mel Gibson stars as Max, a lone-wolf warrior that fights in post-apocalyptic wastelands.

Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3
Three of my favorite movies. Although, the first two are the best in the series. If you need me to tell you these are horror movies with the famous xenomorph aliens, then you've been holed up in a cave somewhere since 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment