Directory




Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Things I've Read...Catch Up, Part 2

I have one more book to finish and then you'll be getting another dose of this. For the time being, six books I read not too long ago.
  • Gaches Mansion: An Historic Landmark Preserved - Janna Gage
    This short little book gives a good insight and history of one of La Conner's most famous and celebrated buildings, from the founding family, to the night it was almost burned down in April 1973. From when it was a home, to apartments, the Museum of Northwest Art and finally the Quilt & Textile Museum that hosts amazing shows all year.
  • Maus, Vol. 1 & 2 Vol. 1 - Art Spiegelman
    This wonderfully written and illustrated graphic novel retells one man's survival of the Holocaust, and how he is coping during the 1980s. There are two stories in one: that of the Spiegelman's relationship with his father (the subject), and the father's story of the 1940s as it is being remembered. I don't know why I didn't read this book in high school, but I'm glad I was able to get my hands on the two volumes: (My Father Bleeds History; And Here My Troubles Began)
  • Hunters of Dune - Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
  • Sandworms of Dune - " "
    I read these two giant books back-to-back, so just looking back I can't remember where they are separated, but I still count them as two books (1,000+ pages combined). After taking a few years to write and flesh out prologues to the late Frank Herbert's story of Dune, the writing duo Brian and Kevin came back to where Frank left off, and ran with it. Personally, I had to finish this series to have closure, but still feel like they crammed too much into just two final books. Plus, you can't beat the original, Frank-written books.
  • The Complete Persepolis - Marjane Sartrapi
    Another very compelling and amazingly written / illustrated survivor's tale. Sartrapi was a little girl in Iran during the change in regimes. Once the situation became too dangerous for her (especially with her rebellious nature), her parents send her abroad in Europe, where she comes into womanhood and finally makes it back to Iran. This is another one that I missed out on, but am glad I was finally able to read it. Highly recommended, especially to younger girls and women.
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
    Not going to lie, this took me forever to read, I literally trudged through it like one would do in a swamp. I started in early September, and it took me until almost March to finish. Kundera tells the story of three couples, and the interconnections between everyone's lives, as well as the history and reason for why they each behave the way they do. One of the most in-depth and insightful books I've ever read; it is certainly worth the hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment